Monday, July 5, 2010

Quick update

Just a few thoughts...

1. The Seoul subway is awesome. Easy, clean, fast...why can't we have this at home?
2. I really starting to feel comfortable in my lab much in the way I am comfortable at home. This is mostly because Eunae is awesome and goes out of her way to help me. We never had a formal welcome party for me like we did in Japan, but I am much more at ease here than I ever was in that Japan. But some of that may also be that I am more comfortable with myself too. I'll probably never know.
3. Having people to hang out with in town is really nice and I appreciate it. But going to the shrine by myself this weekend reminded me that it is really great to travel by yourself sometimes.
4. This coming weekend I am taking Friday off and heading to Jeju Island which is supposed to be beautiful. Hiking, biking, beaches and super cool looking lava caves will be the order of the day. And since I get in 4 hours before everyone else (I get there at like 8 am, everyone else gets in from 12-1 or later), I think I am going to take the morning to do the lava caves on my own. (see here for where I am going).
5. If I don't break my dorm door before I leave it will be a miracle. I can't tell you how annoying it is to have a door that speaks to you EVERY time you open/close/or touch the door. Shut up stupid door!
6. They eat fresh (raw) priapulids here! And how I discovered that is kind of a funny story for another time.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

The cave looks enticing, with its cool temperatures and lava-formed features (I didn't know caves could also be formed through volcanic processes). It sounds like you have a fantastic weekend planned!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Your door talks to you when you touch it? Wow.
So glad you're fitting into the lab.

Abby said...

The door says something in korean everytime you go in or out or press this one button on the door. I have no idea what it is saying but I really wish I knew how to turn it off! Believe me, after one evening of it (since I have to go out to use the kitchen/get better water) you would be sick of it too. Also, the door takes a code to open and shut it rather than a key (and this seems rather common here).