Saturday, August 23, 2008

Leaving Shirahama for Tokyo

So my last day in Shirahama seriously sucked from a work perspective. I have been seriously angry at Kubota sensei for what happened that day and in my heart of hearts, I don’t know that I will ever completely get over it. I don't think I can talk about it rationally yet so it will have to wait until more of my anger has dissipated. But I can say that I am super happy that I left Shirahama that night and met up with my roommate at Sokendai, Lee. I absolutely love that girl and within 5 minutes she had me laughing and relaxing. She goes to school in West Virginia, SS. Some day I will need to rent a car and travel to the state to see you and Lee. Plus her host decided to pay for a hotel room for her Monday and Tuesday night which meant that I didn’t have to pay anything for a room. Good thing too because it’s so easy to spend money in Tokyo, I overspent a little.

Then on Wednesday, we were put up by JSPS at the Keio plaza in Shinjuku. The nicest hotel in the most upscale neighborhood that I have ever stayed at. I don’t know why they chose to put us all up INDIVIDUALLY in this super expensive hotel. It seems that at least could have made up pair up (and I wouldn’t have minded being with Lee again). Not that I’m complaining, but it seems like they could have used the money a bit better. It was nice to see everyone and talk to them all again. I would say that I meet about 4 or 5 people that I really want to keep in touch with. Hopefully they feel the same too.

Oh, and there was a minor earthquake during the final presentations for the program, so I have now experienced that too (something Kubota sensei said that I needed to experience while I was in Japan to have the full experience).

1 comment:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

It's true, WV is not that far from you. I'd love to see you and meet Lee, if you're willing to share.
The Mister and I will be flying in and out of Columbus around Thanksgiving, by the way, if you're around we'd like to see you.