Saturday, August 23, 2008

Explanation

So I started writing all of these posts (or at the very least was thinking about them). But I’ve been busy. I just had about 3 hours on the train, so I decided to catch everyone up. I’m going to split this into a couple of posts so it’s not one massively long post. Plus it makes sense to break them up the way I wrote them. I kept it so the most recent trip is the newest post so you will have to go back to the Nara post and scroll up from there to get it all in chronological order (if that is how you want to read it). Also, I didn’t go back and change stuff for the Nara post to reflect that I took that trip about 2 weeks ago. Just to let you know.

2 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Of course you should go. Of course it will be unpleasant. Of course you'll cry.
Having said that, I'm a person who didn't visit a concentration camp while in Germany (I have since been to the Holocaust museum in D.C. and cried and would highly recommend it) and I avoid good but depressing movies because I don't have time for sad entertainment. But I think travelling is about more than entertainment and certainly no productive cross-cultural exchange can take place until there's at least some admission that things have happened that we're not proud of.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

That previous comment belongs with a different post, but you're smart enough to sort that out.