Monday, August 16, 2010

Almost over??

So my program in S. Korea ends officially on Thursday (which I still can’t believe…where did the time go?). I have a lot left to say about Korea so I might be putting up a post a day…we’ll see. This is not the end of the Asian trip yet, though. I go back to Japan for a week and then return to Korea. What will happen at that point is still up in the air (though it should be resolved in the next day or two, huge mess that it is). In any case, to start off the week, here is a list I have been working on of things I will miss in Korea and things I will not.

Things I will not miss (i.e. lets get the bad stuff out of the way first)
Almost getting run over all the time by scooters and mopeds with drivers that act as if the sidewalk is for them only.

Having to hear otherwise very rational people talk seriously about fan death. The whole thing makes no sense.

The aforementioned concept that a woman simply must be ½ of a couple for her life to be worth living (and the general obsession with being all cutesy with your significant other).

Food that is too spicy for me to eat (and constantly being concerned that the food I ordered/got will be too spicy for me to eat)

People treating me as if just because I don’t speak the language, I am entirely incapable of taking care of myself (Eunae, bless her heart, is often guilty of this)

Related to the previous one, people figuring that it is okay to be pushy and knock into me with out any sort of apology because I am foreign. I mean all I need is a little head nod to acknowledge that you were in the wrong; words are not required (I got this in Japan too).

Struggling to find vegetables to eat especially when fresh produce is so expensive.

Only having a microwave, toaster oven and hot pot for use in cooking.

Sleeping on the floor because by bed in the loft is way too hot (though I do have a mattress and everything so it’s not too bad)

Not having wireless internet

Lack of wheat bread (like in Japan most of the bread is super white)

Living in such a restrictive dorm, it sucked that I was not allowed to ever bring visitors past the entryway of the dorm. And they have cctvs EVERYWHERE so you can’t escape them.

A door that talks to me (saying the same things in Korean over and over again)


Things I will miss
Awesome public transportation

Spicy food. I have sort of developed a love/hate relationship with spicy food as you can see by the fact that it shows up on both lists. I can’t eat much of it but there are a few things I grown to tolerate and kind of like even if I can only eat a small amount.

Euna’s down to earth sense of humor, Eunae’s caring concern (even if it does annoy me sometimes) and Sung-jin’s happy energy.

Having eggs and tofu prepared in so many delicious ways which makes me able to use them as my primary sources of protein (I like meat, but I prefer it as more of an occasional thing)

Having an amazing, clean, and safe city at my doorstep to explore.

Cheap laundry (less than a dollar for wash AND dry) where the detergent is provided for you.

Having lots of banchan (small side dishes) when eating. Plus we always share them so I get a little of everything.

The kindness of strangers. Several times Koreans have stopped to try to help even if they don’t speak English! Although people in Japan are also nice, they often felt so self conscious about their ability to speak English that they wouldn’t just stop to help someone who is struggling (though of course they will try to help if asked). Koreans (particularly older people) don’t seem very concerned with how exactly they are going to communicate and just try to help. And it always does help, at least a little. Plus you feel less guilty about bothering someone if they offer to help without you asking.

The awesome group of EAPSI people who I will miss tons. Particularly because none of them are organismal biologists so I won’t see them at meetings or anything. Hopefully the NRF is serious about having yearly alumni meetings so I can see them all again.

The fun Japanese people that live on my floor. Nozumi is hilarious, Megumi is adorable, Naoko has the funniest facial expressions, and Teppei (the lone Japanese guy) is kind of cute (and mentioning the last got me into trouble).

Norebang (i.e. Karaoke) with people my age. It’s a bit more fun then going with an older man who just wants to sing very sad, melodramatic songs. And who cares about the actual singing.

Having a code to open my door rather than keys to keep track of.

Having a gym and a track right downstairs (even if the machines kind of suck).

Awesome sports coverage on TV (and the lack of commercials in the middle of a show in general).

Hot springs/public baths. (first learned to love them in Japan, but they are basically the same here).

List of particular foods I will miss:
Bibibap -so very simple yet one of the best foods ever,

Kongbiji jjigae – a stew made out of the left over ground soybeans from tofu, I can’t describe how awesome it is,

Japchae- a pancit like noodle dish,

tteok- rice cakes that make their way into both sweet and savory dishes and are awesome chewiness,

Bulgogi – I’m sure you know what this is

Jeon – Korean style pancakes that have vegetables cooked in them, awesome in its countless varieties (the cafeteria normally would have a few different kinds every week). Kimchi jeon is actually one of the few ways I’ll eat cabbage kimchi (I usually prefer the radish kimchi)

Vinegar drinks – during orientation we had a vinegar fruit punch and a vinegar tea, both of which were awesome. I have yet to find this kind of drink again sadly

And, oddly enough, I will miss that spicy soybean/chili sauce that you put on rice and eat in lettuce leaves. It’s really good and you only need a little so it doesn’t get too spicy.


I am sure that there are other things I will/won't miss but those are the things that come to mind. Overall, I am not feeling an itching need to get back to the US. I am not frustrated and tired of living in another culture as I was at the end of my time in Japan (because I had to work a lot harder there?). I am mostly just sick of living in the dorm and not being able to cook for myself. And I am missing people at home. But other than that, I could stay another 2 months at least without any problems.

3 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Fan death?
Is this something I'm supposed to know about?

Abby said...

People here believe that if you are in a closed room and have a fan (or even an air conditioner) going all night, you can die. Some claim that it takes the oxygen out of the room and others that it can lead to hypothermia. there is a wiki page about it that I feel to lazy to look up right now. It's just weird that all these smart people believe it.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Wow. I'm glad neither of us has died of this yet.